Monday, October 4, 2010

The Little Things I Love about South Africa

Rooibos.
If I can’t get this in the States, I will be looking for an exporter. I love this tea. It’s amazing.

Husks.
Okay, at first, these sort of creeped me out. It’s like biscotti only thicker and made with different things. Jenna really enjoys the breakfast husks, which usually have pumpkin seeds and raisins and whatnot in them. However, there are a number of other types, like Muesli husks (made of granola). These things are awesome with peanut butter and/or dunked in coffee (or Rooibos). I am sad that they are specific to southern Africa.

Wild Calla Lilies.
As some of you know, Callas are my favourite flower. They also grow wild here. They’re everywhere. On the side of every street. They are as common as dandelions in the US, only much prettier. How amazing is it that I am surrounded by the beauty of this flower all the time?

The grading scale.
50%-59% is a D. 60%-69% is a C. 70%-74% is a B. 75% and up is an A. The theory behind this type of grading scale is that to receive 100% would mean that you are at the same level as the professor. The percentage is that of (ideally) perfection. To be at 75% of the professor is really good, therefore, it’s an A. I like this because it reminds everyone that there is always room for improvement, even if you get an A.

Pineapple Fanta.
Okay, this one was built up a little too far for me (sorry Baby) but it was still good. I don’t think it’s something you can find, or at least not easily, in the States. It’s pretty tasty, and I do recommend you give it a try if you ever stumble upon it.

Taxes on plastic grocery bags.
I think it’s pretty simple. More people bring their own when you have to pay 36 cents per bag. Go South Africa.

Tax on ALL items already included on sticker price.
You don’t have to worry about doing the math in your head when you’re working on a limited budget. The tax is automatically included on the advertised price. They’re straightforward with it. That’s awesome.

Pinotage.
This cultivar is specific to South Africa. The Pinot Noir grape was cross pollinated with the Hermitage grape to create Pinotage, a red grape that produces a rather complex wine. It is quite common in South Africa and while it is currently the only country producing this wine (and they don’t export to the US, so I will be bringing a bottle home), New Zealand is looking to start.

Doritos.
Now, I understand that you may be thinking, “But we have Doritos in the States? What’s the big deal?” but you don’t know the full story. Here, the Doritos brand is owned by a South African company called “Simba.” As a result, these chips are WAYYYY better. They don’t skimp on the seasoning. And the flavours here are different than those offered in the US. For instance, my current favourite flavours are Sour Cream and Mild Chilli, Buffalo Wings, and Sweet Chilli Pepper.

The drinking age.
Now, I know it doesn’t really affect me. I was already 21 when I was in the US, so it’s nothing new. However, because the drinking age here is 18, I have NEVER been carded in this country. 90% of the time, I don’t even have my ID on me. It’s kind of nice to not worry at all about having my ID or being carded. And on a related note, bouncers accept your University Student ID when they card you, even though it doesn’t have your age or DOB on it simply because if you are in college you are most likely 18 anyway (those lucky dogs who start when they’re 17).

The Metric System.
‘Nuff said.

Avocados on just about everything.
These South Africans have got it right. Avo is served on or with many of the items on a menu, including (but not limited to) chicken, curry, hamburgers (not burgers, because a “burger” is a citizen, so if you order a “burger,” they may bring you a person), rice, and a number of other things. I definitely think the US should follow suit on this one.

Most signs are in three different languages.
I know I’ve said before that South Africa has 11 official languages, but many of those are regional. Where I am, there are three main languages. Afrikaans, English, and isiXhosa. The vast majority of road signs and other public signs are in those three languages. I am learning a lot of words very quickly. It’s really interesting, and I love that I get to learn at least parts of other languages through the signs. And usually, when there is only one language on a sign, it’s Afrikaans, so I am picking that language up much quicker than I otherwise would.

There are so many other things that I love about this country. I just wanted to share a few of them with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment